Thursday, June 07, 2012

#CoulsonLives #FuryLies Scarf How to!

Here is how to make your very own #CoulsonLives #FuryLies scarf.

Supplies:
2 Skeins Berroco Comfort in Main Color
1 Skein Berroco Comfort in the color you want your letters
1 set size 8 (5mm) straight needles (circulars will do)
Stitch Markers (which are totally optional and I did not use, but if you're new to knitting might help)

*I found it useful to wind about 1/3 of the color for your letters into a separate ball so that you can work one set of letters out of each

Here are my supplies.  I bought extra yarn because I wasn't sure how much I would need.  I ended up using about a skein and a half of the black and not even one skein of the white.




So, next.  Casting on.  I cast 35 stitches (picture on the left) with the black and then did 7 rows in seed stitch.  That's knit, purl, knit, purl all the way across.  You do that 7 times (picture below).  Don't worry about which side is the right side at this point.



Once you've completed your 7 rows on seed stitch you're going to keep going in seed stitch for the first and last 5 stitches of every row.  This means the first 5 stitches will always be knit, purl, knit, purl, knit.  It doesn't matter if you're on the right side or the wrong side, it will always be that.  After I finished the first 7 rows I did 2 rows with the seed stitch border and stockinette stitch (knit on the right side, purl on the wrong side) just to establish myself.
Now the real fun starts.  THE LETTERS.
I used these letters and modified them slightly so that they were all 7 spaces across and 12 letters high.  Except the 'I'.  The 'I' is only 6 letters across. I took a picture of them in excel on the right, but it's kind of hard to tell.  Hopefully the link works as a good guide line. How annoying.  So, about halfway through your scarf will look something like...
Not really halfway through.  I worked the lettering up one way and then down the other way.  Once you're through you will have to block it out.  And you might want to sew some kind of fabric on the back, in order to cover up all the messy color work portions.


And now some blocking photos for your edification:

THE SCARF soaking in the sink.  Left it for about 20 minutes

Pinned out in the laundry room.  









 I soaked it in the sink for about 20 minutes.  Then rolled it up in a towel (I only barely wrung it out).  Then I stomped on the towel.
I used t-pins to pin it to some foam board to dry completely flat.  Always good to remember to attach washing directions for any of your knitting creations that you are sending far and away from you.  I like to make my own labels.
Detail shot!
You'll notice that I didn't include any hash tags for #CoulsonLives and #FuryLies.  I couldn't think of a good way to make a hash tag that would look like it matched the font.  If you can more power to you.  Feel free to add to this pattern to your little hearts content.  Also if you do make a scarf, e-mail me a pic :)  I would love to see other people's interpretation of it.   If you're an agent in deep cover, you could make the pattern in colors that are only a few shades different, or make it all in the same color and purl the patterns for the letters instead of making them a different color.  I think that might look cool.

After that weave in your ends.  If you're any good at sewing you can sew on some fabric to the back to cover up all your color work.  And that's it!

Good luck agents!

No comments: